Friday, August 27, 2010

Boxing for the First Time

I recently began boxing in Mendocino County. I train at the Mendo Combat Club near Big Lots. The training here has a relaxed intensity. Everyone here is focused on getting better. People's ego's are left at the door. Everyone is extremely helpful. I get very regular feedback and supportive encouragement from the individuals that have been training longer then me. While doing drills the other individuals will often cheer each other on. It really does make a difference when sucking for air to hear in the background people pushing me on with encouragement.

I am just a beginner and at first when I started I was tentative and a little nervous because I didn't want to make a mistake. The other members quickly made me feel comfortable and allowed me to make mistakes without judgment. They have given me encouragement when I do things well and correct me when I need feedback. The thing that has been the most amazing to me is the manner in which they give feedback. Nobody brings their ego into it. They are giving me advice for the sole purpose of improving my skill set. This has allowed me to develop much quicker because I feel comfortable taking risks and trying things because I am not afraid of being judged.

The training itself is really fun. We start out with shadow boxing. This is where we stand in front of the mirror and box the air. During this time we are warming up but also making sure our technique is good and strong. After this there are a series of drills that we may do. We often end up hitting the bag for 1 to 3 minute intervals. I have been shocked at how much 1 minute can work my arms when I'm hitting the bag. It definitely gets my heart rate pumping. It also allows me to refine my comfort with combinations and movement. This is because the bag sways with each punch which forces me to move to get the correct spacing.

The trainer is also really encouraging. His relaxed energy allows everyone there to feel calm while training. At the same time he pushes us to develop. He also varies the training based on your skill level.

One of the things I have really enjoyed about boxing is the opportunity to improve my striking ability. It is amazing to me the amount of detail that goes into a correct punch. Boxing also has provided me the opportunity to improve my hand speed.

I will give further updates as I better understand the art of boxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment