Thursday, March 24, 2011

New York City!


I got to the airport around 715 am. I dropped off my bag, was slightly invaded at the security checkpoint, and eventually made it on the plane. I was welcomed to my seat by a mid 20 something latino male with a wink and a smile. There I was stuck in the socially awkward situation of “how do I respond to a wink?” I only know one other person in my life who routinely winks and I know that person well enough to make fun of them.

Here I was being winked at by a total stranger. It takes a rare human to wink with grace. I am not that human. When I attempt a wink I look like there is a malfunction in my eye blinking system where one eye just happened to stop working. I clumsily made it pass the inappropriate winker. Eventually I got to my seat where I stared out the window and avoided all potential eye contact for the remainder of the flight.

I arrived in New York city in the early evening around 5 pm (eastern time).  With little confusion I was able to find my way to the subway and begin my adventure to my friends house.

As I stood in the subway I found myself staring at everyone. Generally when I first get to a city I face the struggle of trying to “fit in” while also trying to “take it all in”. As I stood in the subway I looked at everyone. I almost chimed in my own commentary to the conversation happening to my left but realized that would make it way too obvious I was eavesdropping. I tried to stare at everyone and everything while simultaneously attempting to appear that I was not in fact staring.

At one point the subway became overwhelmingly crowded when half of Michigan University arrived in our subway. I knew this because they were loud, annoying, made numerous comments about Michigan University, and wore Michigan University gear. A girl sat next to me and noticed the book I was reading. She looked at it and said “Lord of the Rings. Yeah?” I had the urge to respond with a “Yes siree Captain obvious!” But I instead opted for the more socially appropriate “Yeah, it’s a great book”. She nodded and our conversation was done. Eventually the Michigan group left and there was some breathing room on the subway once more.

I had to make a transfer at the following station. It was so busy when I tried to get on that I literally could not fit on the subway. I tried door after door and each was filled to the brim. I waited for the next line and was able to get on safely.

Eventually I made it to my good friend Ha’s House and this began my journey in New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment