Friday, March 25, 2011

A Visit to KIPP




Today I had the awesome opportunity to check out an outstanding Charter School Organization called KIPP. KIPP stands for Knowledge is Power Program”. I was put in contact with this organization through Teach For America.

I had the opportunity to observe KIPP elementary and KIPP Middle School in the Bronx. It was really incredible to observe not only outstanding teachers but a system that strongly supports that success.

The amazing thing about these particular school sites (I have not been at other KIPP sites so I cannot speak about them) is that it not only has extremely high expectations for everyone in the organization (from students to the administrators) but it also provides the necessary support to make it happen.

I loved going from classroom to classroom to observe the teachers. The cutest thing is that each classroom at the elementary had a “greeter”. This was one of the kids in the classroom that came up to guests that are observing. The “greeter” introduces himself and helps the visitor find a seat in the classroom. Some of the kids are excellent greeters. Some of the kids need to be “paper monitors” instead.
This is a picture of the road I took to get to KIPP
When I went into one classroom a small kindergartener with long brown hair came over to me. She just stared at me with her big brown eyes. I waited for the opening greeting but the small child simply looked at me. She was not awkward or weird, she just simply appeared to think her job was solely to stand next to me and stare at me. Eventually I said “Hello. I am Izzy. What is your name”. She looked at me and said “adkfjakaldj Karen”. I had no idea what she said but I heard a name at the end of it. Eventually I asked the child “should I sit here?” After waiting for a while the child finally stated “adfadk akdfja;d akdfa;j”. Once again, I had no idea what the child was saying… Moral of the story: Some children are great greeters, some children should pass out papers, some adults are good presenters, some adults are great at managing behind the scenes… But the beauty of these classrooms is that it gives children the opportunity to explore these types of opportunities in a child friendly way.

Attending and observing KIPP was such a positive experience. I have read theories and research on “best practices” for teaching children. It always sounds great on paper but to see it happening in action is so motivating. To me, it is analogous to weight lifting and a protein shake. Protein shakes are great and very beneficial if complimented by a great workout. Without the workout the Protein shakes still taste great it just doesn’t make any true difference.  Just as books on “Great Teaching” are awesome but without people actually doing it the books are irrelevant.  My experience at KIPP was exciting, inspiring, igniting, enlightening and a whole lot more of “ings” that I just can’t quite recall right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment