Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Change of Plans

So there are a few changes on my trip. Today I will be going to Shimenoseki city. I will be staying with a Japanese family that I was put in contact with by my friend Masanao Hiyashi. I know Masanao because I do Aikido with him in Los Angeles. I am very excited to go there and live with a Japanese family for a few days. I think this will give me an experience unlike anything else since I have been here. I will be there for 2 nights (the 21st and 22nd of July) and will leave in the morning on the 23rd.

Then I will head to Beppu for 2 days (the 23rd and 24th). I am trying to work it out that I do Aikido on Sunday morning in Beppu. That may or may not work out. I am undecided what I will do on the 25th and 26th. I am thinking of heading to Kagoshima. Kagoshima is famous because of the active volcano in the area. On the 27th I will head to Mount Koya and stay in a buddhist temple.

On the 28th 29th and 30th I will be in Kyoto. Kyoto is known as the historic capital of Japan. Kyoto is a much more traditional town. This is because it is one of the few towns that was not damaged during world war 2. Therefore it has kept it's historical appearance. One of the days I am in Kyoto I will take a day trip to Nara. Nara is supposed to be very beautiful. Apparently in Nara the deer come right up to people and let you pet them.

On the 31st I head back to Tokyo. I will be in Tokyo a few nights and then I fly back to the states on August 3rd and will arrive in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Izzy,
    Have you reached Shimonoseki city yet? How do you like my hometown?

    By the way, I think you've got a habbit of misspelling my last name. It should be HAYASHI, which means "woods" in Japanese. HIYASHI as you spelled means "cold, cooled," as used in soba restaurant menu: Hiyashi-soba(cold soba-noodle).

    Oh well, do I sound like a teacher? Sorry, but believe it or not, I was. Please ask my former studnet how terrible a teacher I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Masanao. I fell in love with Shimonoseki. The Kawahara family are wonderful people. They are very kind and warm. I will try to put up some stuff tonight about the experience. My words can do no justice for how welcomed they made me feel. They showed me so much in Shimonoseki. I will never forget the experience that they gave me. Also, I will spell your name correctly from hear on out... This student has learned from his mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete