Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just trying to not fall asleep

So this is my first blog that I am posting online. I got into tokyo today around 730. There public transportation is efficient and quick. I am currently sitting in a capsule room. I like it. Basically, I am just trying to not fall asleep right now. It is about 950 pm and I have been up since 7 am US time. in the use the time right now is 550 am. This basically means I have been up since 7 am and have stayed awake until 550 am. I want to make it until 10 pm (Japan time) so i can beat this jet lag as soon as possible but it aint easy.

First things first. I have managed to lose my sister's camera (she'll now be getting a better one upon my arrival back in the states). This means a few different things. The first thing that it means is that I will be writing a lot more detail on this blog then I initially expected since I won't have pictures. The second, thing this means is that I might be buying a digital camera from Japan while i'm here. I don't know. I shall see.

Today was all about getting grounded, finding my locaion for sleeping, figuring out where the atms are and getting acquainted with the fact that I am no longer in the United States. The thing that I have been most surprised about is how quickly i have felt comfortable here. I feel safe and comfortable walking around. This may have to due with the fact that I am sleep deprived and a little bit nuts. I don't know. Regardless, I feel safe here... Of course safety does not mean I parade around explaining to everyone how excited I am about the exchange rate that 7 eleven provides me then start showing all the Yen I have withdrawn (that would be stupid). But it does allow me to being more open to exploring and getting lost in the city.

Tomorrow I want to train at hombo dojo. This is the major Aikido dojo in the world. They have five different classes being offered tomorrow. My plan right now is to attend 3 of those classes. I will update tomorrow.

As for now, it is finally 10:01 pm... I can sleep.

7 comments:

  1. A few thoughts:

    1. Don't fight the jetlag too hard, wander around, get all spacey and leave your passport at a yoshinoya beef bowl.

    2. What's up with the brand new blog when we were all just getting used to the old blog?

    3. I hope you have a towel. It is the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker like yourself can have.

    4. Have fun & glad to know you are safe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is Ron.

    Digital Cameras are very cheap here in Japan. Get a Canon IXY for around 14,000 Yen ($150) at K's denki or Yamada denki... ask people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taw, is that in Tokyo? I was reading in my guide book about some electronics places i can go to in Tokyo. If i don't get one here in Tokyo can i get we make it happen in Nagoya?

    Xochil in response to your questions/comments:
    1. this is a bad idea.

    2. I posted this on a new blog because i needed a more politically correct format so i could reach out to more people.

    3. The hostel hear provides towels.

    4. I hope you are being safe and not eating too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know places in Nagoya...

    Excellent camera for good prices.
    If you can get to Nagoya around 5 PM on the 14th that would be great....

    From JR Nagoya Station.... take the Yellow City Subway Line (Higashiyama Line) to Hongo Station... exit 2. I can meet you there....
    My cell (090)9175-7400

    Let me know around what time will you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good Taw. I plan on taking a quick day trip to Gifu from Takayama on the 14th. So I can do that then show up in Nagoya around 5 pm. i'll give you the exact times once i figure it out. That will probably be on the 12th or 13th once I am in Takayama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Izmael! Happy travels to you. You know that Genesis and I are very excited about your "dreamers journey". One suggestion: goal 1- English is misspelled...lollolol.

    Now that I have your blog address I'll be sure to check in. I'll show Genesis your balloon video, she'll get a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cynthia! I am excited to hear from you. Thanks for the heads up. That is really ironic that I plan for one of my goals to be to teach english and I don't even spell the word "english" correctly... good luck to my future students. Tell Genesis and Mr Jackson I said "Hi". Hope your doing well :)

    ReplyDelete