Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Volcano in the Same Shirt I Wore Yesterday



Today I went to Aso. This is about 3 hours by train from Beppu. This is a very small mountain town. It is very peaceful and beautiful here. I like it because everything is very slow and relaxed. 15 minutes walking to the west gets you to one side of town 15 minutes walking to the east gets you to the other side of town.




About 30 minutes by bus from Aso is Mount Aso. This is a famous volcano in Japan. I went there today. On the way up to the volcano it was really beautiful. It was very green. As soon as I got to the area near the volcano I wanted to take a run so I locked up my backpack and started running for a little bit. After my run I went back and got all of my things and started the hike up the mountain so I could see the crater. When I got to the top it was very smoky from the volcano. It was really awesome to see. All around the volcano the ground was very dark. I saw some green in the distance so I decided to hike for a little while in that area. While I was doing this the rain started to come down really hard. I didn't know the next time I would be in Aso so I decided I could deal with it.




Eventually I decided to go back down the mountain. On my way down the rain started to come down really hard. It even hailed a little bit. When I finally got to the bottom I was so wet that my shoes were squeaking from the moisture in them. My shirt was soaking wet. I took off my sock and rang them out. Now of course after a day like this I had to head an Onsen. There happened to be one right by my hostel. So I went there for about an hour and I am now relaxing back at the hostel.




The hostel is really nice. In fact, this is probably the nicest hostel I have ever stayed at. It is insanely clean. It has many decorations. It has nice wooden floors. The bathrooms are pristine. The staff is really friendly and speaks excellent English. All of this and I am only paying 28 dollars a night.

This is a picture of the kitchen at my hostel.

Tomorrow I am off to Kyoto. It will take me about 7 hours by train. I will transfer to 4 different trains on the way. I don't mind though. I like looking a the scenery and the trains are comfortable.

3 comments:

  1. How in the heck do you keep taking the distance/action shots of yourself. While extra friendly Japanese squirrels is thus far the most plausible explanation (thank you Mr. Scollin), I suspect there may be an alternative. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Xochil-san! My camera has an auto pic feature that takes a picture 10 seconds after i press the button. Then i use my blazing speed to get in postion. As for the running shots. Those are done by squirrels (Sean clearly has read up on Japanese culture).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome izzy! I love that you are traveling and checking out places in Japan! I look forward to getting advice on where to check out once I get the chance to check out Japan myself! Miss you and your crazy self! Make sure you are super crazy in Japan! People accept crazy there! ;)

    ReplyDelete