Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Hostel

My first 4 nights I have spent at a hostel called "Ace Inn". This is a reasonably comfortable place. They offer "capsule beds" and regular dormitories. I spent my first 3 nights in the capsule beds. Capsule beds are like small compartments to sleep in. They are kind of like a sleeping cubby. The way these work is they are stacked 2 to a column and have about 5 or 6 rows across. I really wish I could take a picture but I still don't have a camera yet. They are basically used for sleeping and that is it. This is a more modern capsule so it is a little more spacious then most. It is about 3 feet high and a little bit over 6 foot in length. I am able to fit comfortably in there.

There are many capsule hotels throughout Japan. They are generally used for Japanese buisness men that "miss the last train home". Which is a nice way of saying they were too drunk to go home so they spent the night in the capsule. There is little space inside these capsules except for maybe a small bag and the person who is sleeping in there. In many capsule hotels only men are allowed to use them. Women are simply not allowed to stay at the capsule hotels.

The wooden capsules here are a little different. They allow for any sex to stay in them. They also are more for the cultural experience then actually being a true capsule.

As far as everything else at the hostel it is comfortable and does it's service. There are laundry facilities and the place is kept very clean. The people at the front desk have a pretty strong grasp of the english language so it is easy to communicate although they continue to give me incorrect directions about Tokyo. But Tokyo is so huge and complicated that nearly everyone gives incorrect directions. i have learned to ask 3 to 4 people everywhere I go then I just take the majority opinion (everytime there has been atleast 1 person who gives directions that are almost the opposite of everyone elses).

My only qualm with this hostel is that there lounge area smells like something I have never smelled before in my life. I don't know what the scent is but it is bad and it gives me a headache. I tried to hang out there for a little while to chat with people and hang out but I was so bothered by the scent that I couldn't do it.

2 comments:

  1. My sympathies on the stinky lounge.
    There are some smells you just can't unsmell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one is going to stick with me too... ehhh

    ReplyDelete