Friday, July 23, 2010

My last day in Shimonseki

On my last day in Shimonseki I went to an Onsen and had Roof Soba noodles. Taka, Mama and I went to an Onsen. Onsens are awesome. Every single one of them is different from the next. I think that the mineral water in onsens are very good for my skin. When we were at the Onsen there was a man with many tattoos. Taka said "did you notice the man with lots of tattoos?" I said "yeah" and he then explained to me that this man was a known gangster and that I should not make any eye contact with him. The guy had tattoos all over his body so it was hard not to look at him. But I am alive and healthy so I didn't mess up.

After the Onsen. We went and got soba noodles. I have realized that one way to make an onsen experience even more awesome is to have good food after the onsen. The noodles that we got are only made in Shimonoseki. I like to call the noodles "Shimonseki famous noodles". They were delicious. These noodles are cooked by heating up a roof tile and then the noodles cook on the roof tile. When they serve you the soba noodles they are on a roof tile. It is pretty cool. Below are a few pictures.

Mama and I eating Shimoseki Soba Noodles.

Famous Shimonoseki Soba Noodles.

My understanding is that these noodles used to be cooked by soldiers at war. When it was really hot out they would put the noodles on the roof's of their facilities and this would cook the noodles.

1 comment: