Friday, July 23, 2010

The Kawahara Family



I am right now in the train station getting ready to head to Beppu. I am leaving Shimonoseki City. It is hard to put into words an experience that has never existed in my life. From the second I stepped foot into Shimonoseki the Kawahara family treated me like family. I did not know I could be made to feel so at home so far away from my home. The family is so warm and kind. They live in a beautiful and very big home. They did every little thing to make me feel welcome. Both the mother and father had me call them "Mama" and "Papa". They called me Izzy-san. I think the direct translation of this is "Mr. Izzy". This made me smile. In the house there was Mama, Papa, Miyu (pronounced Myou), Taka and myself.

They were so kind to me and so welcoming. I will miss them very much. I feel that they gave me more than simply an experience to remember. They gave me friendship and warmth that can only be given by a very good heart. Taka showed me all around Shimonoseki. He showed me all the beauty that Shimonoseki had to offer. He took me to Japanese gardens, an Acquarium, Tsunoshima (Masanao, If I spelled it wrong please correct me), an Onsen, and so much more. Miyu was friendly and her positive spirit put me in an even better mood. She is so funny that her humor manages to surpass the restraints of language. Even though, her English was limited she still had me laughing constantly. Mama made sure I was comfortable at all times. She always made sure I was well fed, the temperature was good, and that my clothes were clean. Also, her kind spirit could be felt so strongly that it made me feel very welcome. Papa taught me about Japanese history. He also explained to me many things about Japanese culture. He was very interested in American culture. I loved having drinks with him every night. We would drink and talk about Japanese culture and American culture. His love for his family emanates in all his actions.

This is me and Taka about to eat Fugu fish!


Without a doubt the hardest part of being in Shimonoseki was having to leave. I will miss Shimonoseki and the Kawahara family.

The Kawahara family has made my experience in Japan one that I will never forget. I thank them for that. It is hard to find people as kind and warm as them in the world. I feel so lucky to have met them, to have stayed with them and to have them as my friends. I look forward to the day they come to California so I can show them the beauty of my town.

I will go more into detail about my experience in Shimonoseki in future posts. I wanted to put up this post to express my gratitude and to let my friends and family know I am still alive (as I haven't posted anything in a few days).


This is Papa and me

No comments:

Post a Comment