Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 1 of training

So today was my first day at Hombo Dojo(this is where i can train for Aikido). They have classes 5 times a day. There classes are exactly an hour long. I went to 2 classes today and I am exhausted. They use the hour very efficiently. Once we begin training we only stop very briefly to see the next technique. The way it was run reminded me of New York Aikai. The training was great. The majority of the individuals there are black belts which initially felt intimidating but did not end up being a big deal. I also remember hearing from many people that in Japan a black belt is not near as difficult to get as it is in the states.

The first thing I want to comment on is the mats on which we train on. If I were an optimist I would say that the mats feel like "soft wood". If I were a pessimist or a realist I would state that the mats feel like wood with a light layer of cloth surrounding them. Taking break falls on this, rolling on this and sitting in seiza is definitely different to say the least. The class is fast paced. One major difference is that you pretty much keep the same partner for the entirety of the class. The pace is fast moving and there is very little talking during training. The classes are very large but there is enough room to train comfortably. I didn't take a count but there had to be around 35 to 40 people there (if not more). I am very sore now but look forward to going back tomorrow.

I decided against the reccomendations of my friend Dennis. Dennis reccomended that I tense up alot, shove a yudansha and then laugh about it. I used my better judgement and decided that Dennis may in fact be wrong...

Regardless training at Hombo Dojo was an awesome experience and I was shocked how smooth, strong, and without pain the techniques of the instructors were. During the class after they show each technique the instructors would do the technique to students so they could feel it. I was shocked how strong the technique felt yet I didn't feel any pain. It was quite eye opening.

2 comments:

  1. How are you communicating w/ people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I communicate with my fists Xochil Arkin. I look people in the eye and then i point at my fists of fury and then I pretty much get whatever I want... If that doesn't work then I pull out my super awesoem phrasebook and that seems to work well also

    ReplyDelete