Friday, July 30, 2010

Nara


Today I visited Nara. Nara is a small town that is famous for it's beauty, temples, and overly friendly deer. It is about 45 minutes by JR train from Kyoto. As soon as I got there I grabbed a map from a tourist center. I then asked one of the people working at the station "I have one day in Nara. What should I go see?" He gave me some advice and I was on my way.

Nara is a small town so I decided I would just walk everywhere. As I got further from the station I realized why it was so famous. I saw a pond and in the pond there were lots of fish and also small little turtles. I saw deer come right up to people. I saw temples and shrines. I saw many sculptures. I saw beautiful and peaceful nature.


About 15 minutes walking distance from the station is Nara Park. It was really peaceful and nice. It was so nice I just sat down in the park for about an hour and read my book. As can be seeing in the pictures there are lots of deer in Nara (especially in Nara Park). The deer are not shy at all. They will come right up to you.

I then went to see Kasuga Temple. Before I reached Kasuga temple there was a garden called Kasuga garden. I decided to explore it for a little bit. It was really beautiful. My words and explanations can do little justice.
Me in front of Kasuga Temple

After I went to the park for a while I went to Kasuga Temple. Even though I have seeing many temples and shrines in Japan it was still very cool to see this temple. It was in a forested area. As I walked in the quiet forest I thought about Samurai, seppuku (honorary suicide), buddo (the warriors code of honor), and Japanese culture. This probably was because I had read many pages in my book that day (the book is Shogun b James Clavel).

No comments:

Post a Comment