Thursday, July 8, 2010

Finding Hombo Dojo

So I woke up this morning around 7 am which is perfect because it gave me about 9 hours of sleep. I got up and organized myself and then went down to the lobby to find out where Hombo Dojo is. Hombo dojo is the most famous Aikido dojo in the world. It is basically the central location of all Aikido. I would Akin it to the White House of the Aikido World.

I had read in my guide how people in Tokyo don't like to say they don't know where something is so it is always best to ask multiple people how to find a location. this definitley was proven true this morning. Last night I had asked the woman at the counter (her name was Marie and was very nice) how to get to hombo dojo. I showed her a map and gave her the address. I then pulled out another map. She very confidentely explained to me how i could do it. She said it would be about 30 to 40 minutes walking maybe 10 to 15 minutes by public transportation. I decided that I was going to walk it because it gives me a better feel for the city. This morning when i woke up i asked the new person at the counter and he gave me way different directions. Marie had me going in a similar direction except approximately 3 times the distance further. I decided I was going to go with this guys decision simply because his distance was shorter. Well after searching for approximately an hour and a half I finally found the dojo. This is the funny part. His directions were perfect! But Tokyo is confusing. Elibear, this place is definitley not on a grid. It is funny because every person here I show the map too has a difficult time finding where we even are on the map.

It gets better. Hombo Dojo is actually super easy to find. Now, that I know where it is I will easily get there in under 10 minutes from hostel which means I will be training atleast today and tomorrow and possibly Sunday if i can wash my gi on Saturday.

I also find it humorous that had I followed Marie's directions to get to Hombo Dojo I would have probably gotten lost along the way and it wasn't anywhere remotely close to the actual dojo location.

I like travelling around and trying to find things.

2 comments:

  1. Izzy its Nordyke whats up.. Lets be real your no ninja those bug eaters will beat your ass. Good read, like what your doing. Wish you the best in your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good idea that eliminate delay on toll roads by collecting the electronic tolls. According to the public are suffered with this toll problem and seeking help from the government to get rid of this problem. aikido clases

    ReplyDelete