Monday, July 12, 2010

Training Day 3

Today I went into train in the morning at Hombo Dojo. Today I was the most comfortable. I had two days of training under my belt and I understood the expectations and how things work. Everyone trains very hard and is focused. My body also felt very strong today after having the two days of training under my belt. It is interesting because I truly feel that Sensei and City Aikido has done a wonderful job training me because I did not see any techniques where I thought “what is that?”. Every technique I saw I felt very comfortable with. Of course, there were differences in how I have seeing it at City Aikido but I was able to make the adjustments to show the proper respect to the sensei and do the technique as he did. Initially on my first day I felt intimidated when I first walked into the dojo but by today I felt comfortable and realized that I was able to comfortably train. This is due to the training I have received from Nishida Sensei and everyone at City Aikido.

Most of the students there are blackbelts. But this does not necessarily mean that most of them are extremely experienced since the expectations are very different in Japan then they are in the states. Based on the amount of training days in Japan to move to the next level once can definitely become a blackbelt in one year if they are dedicated. Even if one is not extremely dedicated they can do it within three years. In the United States this just is not possible with our requirements to advance. But in Japan a blackbelt is viewed very differently. To give an example, Mr. Furukawa (a native of Tokyo and new friend of mine) was shocked that I was not a blackbelt when I told him I had been training for 2 years. I smiled and said “My Sensei expects perfection”.

One of the things I have thoroughly enjoyed about Hombo Dojo is that there Is such a clear focus on the training via practicing of the technique. Today, the sensei would do the technique 4 times (no more no less) and say nothing and then we would do the technique. Then while we trained he went around the room and did the technique to the students. This gave us all an opportunity to feel the technique. We do each technique for anywhere between 5 to 8 minutes. But when all we are doing is training with very little talking this really provides a great opportunity to feel out the technique and try various things.

I am heading to Takayama today and hope to find dojo there to train.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome you're learning aikido in Japan. Ame futte ji katamaru.

    ReplyDelete