Monday, July 12, 2010

On my way to Takayama

Once again I am in a situation where my words can do no justice. Even a camera in this situation can do no true justice. As I write this my head looks out over the landscape trying to capture what it is that lies in front, behind and all around me. I am on the train to Takayama. Takayama is a mountain town. It feels like a movie. I feel like I am in Lord of the rings. Our train has spent the last half hour or so rushing by a massive and very powerful river. Just above the river is a fog that brings a calm to the environment. Beyond the river is a mass of large trees that scale up the mountains that surround the train tracks. Every piece of it is very beautiful and peaceful. It is at the same time very humbling because of the force and power that rushes from it.

During the beginning portion of the train ride from Nagoya to Takayama I was reading my book. At this point in time there was little in the scenery to stare at. I then looked up and slowly noticed us moving into the mountains. I told myself I would finish the page and then watch. But before I could even finish the page my senses were controlled by the environment. I have no idea what Takayama will be like but the ride alone has made it worth going there.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of books, guess what I finally received in the mail today?
    OK, now I'm ready for book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We shall discuss when i get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Near Takayama... There is a town call Shirakawa-go. Make sure to visit there... here is a link to the pic of that town...very beautiful.

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=13264973&l=5e88eeeb71&id=687855631

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's where I'm going on a day trip tomorrow before I come to Nagoya.

    ReplyDelete