Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mission: Run Blindly then Find Way Home

Today was the first day I have taken a run in Kyoto. I like taking a run in a town because it allows me to get a sense of the geography. It also allows me to see more of the town at a reasonable pace.

This run was different then any run I have taken in Japan. Before I left I put two maps in my pocket, my bus pass and my camera. The two maps were the bus map and the Kyoto geography map. I then just started running. I knew the general direction I wanted to head. My plan was to run as far away from the hostel as possible in 45 minutes. I then would use the map, subways and buses to find my way back to the hostel. The plan worked well. I ran for 45 minutes and then pulled out the map. I found my location in the city. I then pulled out the bus map. The only setback was that I had ran far enough away so that none of the buses in this area were of any service to me. I then looked at the Kyoto map and found a subway. I then went into the subway to see where it would take me. After looking at my own maps and the subway maps for a little bit I found a way to get about 10 minutes walking distance from the hostel for under $2. Mission Accomplished… Now if I could only find my way in Los Angeles I might be able to claim I actually do have a sense of direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment