Friday, July 16, 2010

The food so far






Since I have been in Japan I have tried a variety of different foods. A lot of the time I am still unclear about what I am eating. On my way to Nagoya I got a small bento box from the subway station and it turned out to taste pretty bad. In most cases the writing is in Japanese so I can’t read it and the people that sell the food don’t speak English. So I basically go for what looks good. I also do try to eat foods that look foreign to me. I do this because if I know what a food is it means I can probably get it back in the states. So I try to be a little adventurous. A few of the different foods I have eaten are: beef buns (which are Chinese), Ramen noodles, udon noodles, soba noodles (cold and hot), yakitori, sushi, dumplings, Japanese pizza, rice balls, sweet rice dumplings, and some other things that I don’t know the names of. The pizza is interesting because they put lots of stuff on it that you just wouldn’t see in the states. I tasted a seafood pizza that had all sorts of fish on it. I would name all the fish but I don’t know what they were. I did have to remove a piece of squid though because I couldn’t eat that on the pizza. I really like the noodles. I have had cold noodles and hot noodles. I like them both it just depends on the day. The noodles are a very refreshing food to eat. The interesting thing is that they often put half of a partially boiled egg (the egg white is solid and the yoke is partially solid) in the hot soups. I’m not really a desert person at all but thus far I have been unimpressed by any of the desserts in Japan. There are sweet rice balls that seem to be popular but I don’t think they are good. I have found myself simply going to convenience stores and getting hagen dazz (is that how I spell it?)

3 comments:

  1. Iz, you ever eat uni? If not, definitely add it to your list of things to try. Would highly recommend imbibing an asahi while consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Izzy! Sounds like you are having an amazing trip so far. I love love love traveling in Japan. I have been there 3 times now and wouldn't mind going there again and again. The food is amazing...I'm surprise that you haven't found any sweet you like…try stopping by a bakery or try a crape shop – Japanese sweets are as good as their foods. They have a different way to make bake goods (like cakes, sweet breads, etc). It's much lighter and much more delicate than American desert. Give it a try when you get a chance, you won’t be disappointed.

    Please sister lived in Japan for 4 years, let me know if you want any tips on any good/interesting places to eat or visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chayada, I am going to the Kyushu island tomorrow. Do you have any reccomendations of places to go while i'm there. I am going to go to Kagoshima, Beppu, Aso national park and Kumamoto (Kumamoto is for Aikido).

    ReplyDelete