Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Training with Suganuma Sensei

Today I had the opportunity to train in Fukuaka city. The class was lead by Suganuma Sensei. Suganuma was the last student to be an Uchi Gaeshi for O'sensei. I will give a little background. O'sensei is the person that created the art of Aikido. O'sensei's name is Morihei Ueshiba. O'sensei died in 1963. An Uchi Gaeshi is a student that lives inside the dojo. The student trains much of the day. When they are not training they are doing whatever the sensei asks of them (often cleaning, running chores, etc). So Suganuma Sensei was the very last student to be an Uchi Gaeshi (live in student) for O'sensei. Suganuma is very well respected in the world of Aikido.

The training today was excellent. I was brought to this dojo by a friend of the hostel receptionist. I had spoke with the receptionist yesterday about Aikido. He called his friend and his friend picked me up this morning. We then went to Aikido together. When I entered the dojo all of the students looked toward me and bowed at me. This is a way of welcoming me to the dojo. I felt very welcomed. At the same time it was a little bit intimidating having everyone in the dojo bow toward me (there was about 20 students). This is the only Aikido dojo I have ever been to that while we were doing stretches (the first 15 minutes of class) all students stretch the left side at the same time and the right side at the same time. In most Aikido dojos we all do the same stretches but which side you do is not relevant. In this dojo it mattered. I know this because I got corrected. This shows the intensity and structure of the training at this dojo.

The training itself was excellent. It was very fast paced. This is the most fast paced training I have done. After we did a technique the sensei would quickly say "HI!" then immediately start modeling the next technique. He did not wait for the students to take position. He also only did the technique 4 times. Then we bowed to a partner and trained. There was no talking on his part when he showed the technique.

When it was time for me to leave the dojo I went to bow out and once again every student in the dojo (about 20 students) turned toward me and bowed. I felt honored but a little embarrassed by the attention. I didn't do anything to deserve this. I guess this is how they treat guests at their dojo. It made me feel very welcome.

When I got down to the changing room I decided that I wanted to give Suganuma Sensei a postcard from my hometown. In Japan, gift giving is a very big deal. It is much more common than in the states. I thought this would be a good way to show my appreciation. I wrote on the back "Thank you for letting me train. I enjoyed it very much. -Izmael Arkin"
He did not speak any English but I knew that someone there could translate it for him. I went up and bowed to him and handed him the postcard. I think that he appreciated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment