Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Travelling, Zelda, Bo Jackson and Childhood Dreams



As a small child (8 years old) one of my favorite video games was Zelda. In the videogame a young boy named Link set out on a journey all through the land of Hyrule in search of the princess Zelda. As Link travels on his journey he hears many lengeds about a boy that the ancestors have spoke of for centuries that will save the land of Hyrule. As time goes on it becomes apparent that Link is this boy. On one level the story seems cliché. It is about a boy that sets out on a journey to save the princess Zelda from the evil villain Gannon. But if we look deeper into the storyline we realize why this story is so fascinating, engaging and inspiring.

The storyline of Zelda is filled with many archetypes that make a story go from good to great. There is the courageous hero archetype. There is the evil villain archetype. There is the good innocent peasant archetype. There are the unexpected peasant hero archetypes. Over the course of the story there are many instances when Link cannot succeed on his own. He must be given a hand by fate. All of these elements make for a great story because we can relate to them.




I think there are a few key elements that made me love Link as a child and still love him to this day. Link was a regular boy that set out on an adventure. He knew his destiny and he followed it with courage and faith. He never questioned his journey. He only questioned how to get there. Link is courageous. He walks right into his fear.



At times it doesn't make sense how the events will link together. But in the end it all makes sense. Every event in Links life is necessary for him to reach the next level. Anyone who played the game knows that you cannot skip dungeons because every dungeon requires all the skills learned in previous dungeons.

I think that the same elements that made me love Link as a child, and as an adult are the same elements that attract me to travelling. I want to go on adventures. I want to conquer my fears. I want to know my life has purpose. One of the most touching elements of Links story is when it becomes apparent that Link is "the one the ancestors spoke of". This is so touching because it unquestionably brings a sense of purpose to Link's life. Link's purpose is to save humanity from evil. This is a much larger and obvious purpose then most will ever have.



Inside of me is still that small child that wants to set out on a journey. To travel the world, to conquer my fears, to bring right where there is wrong. Yet, unlike Link I am vulnerable to my fears. I wonder if I will make friends? will I be lonely? will I get lost? should I be focused on my career? am I wasting my time? what about retirement?

I don't know my purpose as clearly as Link did. I am not fearless. I don't have a princess to get stolen. But like Link, I can demand more of myself. I can strive to do things I don't think I can do. I can strive to be someone that finds his purpose and lives his life according to it.

I think as small children we often have more insight into our dreams then we do as adults. I think it is good to ask yourself "when I was a child who did I want to be?" I wanted to be Link, a ninja, the ultimate warrior, and Bo Jackson. The "who" may sound ridiculous but the "why" can bring us answers that we have been in search of for a very long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment