Friday, July 16, 2010

Why do I like travelling?















I really enjoy travelling. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have been trying to figure out what exactly is it that makes me like travelling. I ask myself this question so much because there are so many aspects to travel that make it challenging and uncomfortable. The weather is really humid. I am often sleeping in a room with up to 12 other people. I am often tired because I don’t get fully used to my sleeping arrangements. I am constantly on the move so I don’t really get comfortable in a single town. In fact, the second I feel comfortable in a town I begun to get bored in the town. I often get into situation in which I struggle to find food, the location, the bathroom, or even water. I have no access to cell phones. I am far away from my friends and family. I am constantly in locations where I don’t know one person’s name. To a degree I am totally alone.

Yet with all of this I still love travelling. “Why? Why do I love to travel? Why would I proactively put myself in this situation?”. So here is the answer I have formulated so far. For me travelling provides me an opportunity to become curious at the entire world around me. I sometimes find myself just letting days pass me by back in the states. Time will pass and I will let the little things that should be appreciated go unappreciated because I’m just moving through the day. When I travel I pay attention to the details. When I travel I am constantly seeing new things. This causes me to keep my eyes wide open at all times. I feel like I am constantly learning. I love learning about other people. When I travel the normal for all around me is not normal to me. I love experiencing other cultures and finding out about their little quirks. When I travel I never know what the next day has in store. There is no structure that allows me to predict where or what I will be doing in 48 hours. Maybe it is my way of preventing monotony. Maybe it makes me feel adventurous. I don’t quite know. I do know that it makes me feel accomplished. I love the challenges that I go through while travelling. I feel accomplished every time I get lost and find my way. I feel accomplished when I get to town at noon and know nobody but by dinnertime I have made a new friend. I get excited to know that I am seeing and experiencing things that are world famous. I guess travelling makes me feel connected to something bigger than myself. I wish I was a better writer so I could explain this better. But I can’t. I just know that it does.

I would be very interested in hearing other people’s reasons for why they like or don’t like travelling. I’m sure other readers would be interested in what you have to say as well.

2 comments:

  1. I like traveling because I think that it shows us parts of ourselves that we never knew existed. The challenges and stress you spoke about is like a catalyst. It stirs our emotions and thought and it gives us a chance to self-reflect and know ourselves more deeply; in ways that we wouldn't in an environment we have already adapted to.

    I think when you find something in common with a place or a person that seems so "foreign" that it makes you see the world less in terms of "us" and "them" and more as "we". It feels good to find connections...especially when you are craving the comfort of home.

    I think traveling also changes our concept of home.

    For me the visual part of traveling is my favorite...particularly PEOPLE WATCHING.

    I haven't traveled much but I plan on it. Your striking out is inspirational. I'm very proud of you.

    Reading the beginning of your "about me" brought me to happy tears. What a blessing and a noble pursuit to "opt to pursue my childhood dream". Isn't that what we all want to do. Good for you Iz.

    Safe and Happy Travel,
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were able to put into words what I couldn't. As i read what you wrote I found myself thinking "exactly" and "oooohhh (funny sound)... good point".

    Thank you for your kind words Carissa. It means a lot to me. I hope that you are able to do some travelling with your fmaily :)

    ReplyDelete